30 September 2011

30 September 2011

I had a primitive WC experience on Wednesday. Keep reading if you care to know about it :)

I was at a local elementary school where I teach a few lessons during the week. Between my two lessons, I have a 20 minute break, so ample time to use the toilet. I was going to take the first stall because I read somewhere that the first one is usually less-used, and therefore the cleanest, but this one wasn't even up to my standard. I'm not super picky, I just don't like to encounter pee on the seat, if I can avoid it. So I checked out the second, third, and fourth stalls, but they were all gross with dirty seats and none of them were flushed. So I choose the the second farthest one (or the 3rd farthest, because the very farthest was storing a ladder) and resolved to just buck up and wipe the seat. But I got in and closed the door (realizing then that there was no lock- just a piece of black plastic to turn, but it didn't do anything...or I didn't know how to work it) and noticed there was no toilet paper! Not even a place to set the toilet paper if there was any! So I checked the other stalls and finally the paper towel dispenser... no. paper products. anywhere. What could I do? I had to pee and the kids would be getting to the classroom soon. The thought crossed my mind to pull a few leaves off a plant on the windowsill, but the plant was in view of the open restroom door so any kid walking through the hall could see me exploiting that "resource." (I had a feeling my Wild West survival instincts would be frowned on here in this metropolis.) The plant's leaves didn't look very absorbent anyway...  So finally, I did what seemed to be my only option: I went back to that cleanest stall, set myself up on a squatting position so that I was hovering over the pot, and did what was necessary. (It was a good day to wear a skirt.) Then I "shook off" as best as I could... This adventure finally ended at the sink as I tried to repair any "discomfort" my calves might've experienced during the shake-off part, but without paper towels. I don't know how effective that was, but as I was making my best effort I looked up and saw some of my students watching and waving at me from the hallway. The perfect way to quickly get my mind off that hopeless hygiene situation. :)


Immigration update:
I went to the foreign police this morning. When I was there 2 weeks ago they said we could call in 2-3 weeks to see if my permits are ready. Hela, who's in charge of the HR stuff at the school (another of my many advocates here), called this week but it's no surprise that they never answer the phone over there. I can't get paid or get any of my benefits until I have that, and I can't wait forever, so I went this morning to see if they had it ready for me. I was up at 04:45, on the bus before 05:30, and finally in line just before 06:00- one of the first 10 people there! (Miška would be proud!) Well, despite my place in line and having a pretty low number (#23), I still wasn't called to see an officer until about 09:00. And what did they say to me?? (Oh, I brought a script of how to ask if my permits are ready- but there was another client in the same office who was able to translate for me when the information got more complicated. God is so good to me that there have always been people around to help so that I've never been in a completely impossible situation because of not knowing the language yet!) Anyway, What did they say?? The officer found my file and told me that they still need my criminal background check, but I told her I turned it in and she looked again and found it. (That's the document that I went twice in one day to give to them because they wanted the copy that was attached to the translation to be notarized.) So she put everything back in the file and said they would call me when it's ready. After making sure they have Hela's number, I tried to ask why they said it would be ready in 2-3 weeks if they were just going to let it sit as though it's incomplete for 2/3 of that time...Well, that's what I was wondering anyway (but maybe I actually was using harsher language in my mind). Actually, what I asked was something like, "Two weeks ago they said it would be done in done in 2-3 weeks, so why hasn't any progress been made?" I don't know how that question was translated, but I don't think they understood because they just kept saying that they'll call when it's done. Well, in hindsight it's probably best if that didn't translate right because asking pushy questions doesn't usually win favor with the lady who can choose to forget to send my documents on to the next step in the process. <exasperated sigh> What's that verse I memorized as a kid... Don't be anxious for anything, but in everything, through thanksgiving and prayer, let your requests be made known to God...

 One more thing! The quote of the week, after telling someone where I'm from he asked, "Arizona? Isn't it dangerous to live there?"

3 comments:

  1. I totally thought you were going to end your toilet story with "and then maintenance came in and I discovered they were using the toilets to wash out their mops" (thus explaining the "pee" on every seat and no toilet paper, etc). I hope you find a better bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like every day could turn into an interesting story over there! I guess not having toilet paper to wipe off the seats probably caused the continued presence of pee on all the seats, since no one really wants to sit on that... kind of a vicious cycle. Yikes. You had me laughing out loud (in the middle of the study area at school) when you talked about thinking of using the plant! Miss you, Leah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, sounds like every day could turn into an interesting story over there! I guess not having toilet paper to wipe off the seats probably caused the continued presence of pee on all the seats, since no one really wants to sit on that... kind of a vicious cycle. Yikes. You had me laughing out loud (in the middle of the study area at school) when you talked about thinking of using the plant! Miss you, Leah!

    ReplyDelete