30 November 2011

Thankful List: November 2011

  • The roses on the path to work,
  • The sky is blue,
  • My first walnut-gathering experience,
  • Playing Uno and having family time with the Higgins,
  • Bus zones 1 and 2 don't exist in Bratislava anymore,
  • CLASS core values and community atmosphere,
  • Weekends,
  • Ed helping with the intensive course preparation,
  • The speakers at work, so I can laminate while listening to music,
  • It's not really too cold at all,
  • The bathtub is unclogged,
  • Experienced the inside of a thermos exploding and nobody was hurt,
  • I can't shake the feeling that I love being here,
  • 500g of lemons for 44 cents,
  • 1 Kilo of oranges for 79 cents,
  • My confidence is in someone bigger than me,
  • Almost everything is finally ready for the first day of the intensive course,
  • The testimony of that man from Iraq and his brother, and the girl from Tunisia,
  • The yummy cakes from Maria,
  • Another cozy CityLight gathering,
  • Good news from Cathy,
  • I wasn't late on Monday morning when I really thought I would be,
  • Lived through intensive course day 1,
  • Lived through intensive course day 2,
  • The kids in the intensive course are nice to me,
  • The Slovak lesson from the kids this morning,
  • Ticket restaurants,
  • The sky's been blue lately,
  • Found 2 euros in my dirty laundry!
  • I think I actually like riding the bus,
  • 19:45 on Thursdays,
  • A student introducing me to Brejky,
  • Our cleaning lady because she has work and she's happy to be doing it- and she shared her optimistic perspective with us,
  • The tea and key chain from Tim and Lucy,
  • Friday night with Heather and Erik,
  • The weekend,
  • Payday,
  • My phone somehow can make calls even though my minutes have expired,
  • O2 doesn't charge for incoming calls,
  • That little boy didn't choke and die on Sunday night,
  • I managed to teach 4 lessons without a formally written plan,
  • I heard my Začiatočnici class laugh,
  • Another day of blue sky,
  • My house plants are blooming and growing,
  • Tiny tea boxes,
  • Shtoor date with Heather,
  • Soft, warm Camp Wonderland hoodie,
  • Bed linens can air dry, even when it's cold and wet outside,
  • A productive "day off",
  • All prepped for most of my busiest week, with time left to relax the weekend before,
  • Clearance sales at the Second Hand stores,
  • Brother Andrew's story,
  • Lenka going to Ghana and the financial support people are giving her,
  • Leftovers from Sunday's lunch to eat all week,
  • The lesson I thought would be too short ran overtime,
  • The new group of intensive course kids are nice to me,
  • The things I thought would make my stomach hurt more actually didn't,
  • The students being so cheerful on Tuesday morning,
  • Being able to go home and not think about work,
  • Chatting with Laura for a bit,
  • 1 kilo of mandarins for 59 cents,
  • The tvaroh a čučoriedka chocolate bar from Hela and Edina,
  • The chocolates from Zuzka and Mirko,
  • It's my birthday and I'm still not homesick,
  • Today wasn't AS cold,
  • All Andrew's prepositions of place and time lesson plans and materials,
  • I live in Slovakia,
  • Next week should be an easier work load,
  • Google images,
  • Skyping with family,
  • Thanksgiving weekend and all the food and friends,
  • There was enough food at the City Light Thanksgiving service,
  • Marek and Oto helping with the kids,
  • Slovak lessons (with lots of laughter) from my new friends from Jelka,
  • Thanksgiving came and went and I'm still not homesick,
  • Louis is IN medical school (and not applying anymore),
  • The intensive course is getting easier for me,
  • My chapped finger didn't bleed today,
  • They who seek the Lord will not be in want of any good thing (Psalm 34),
  • A blue sky on Monday,
  • A boring lesson felt like it went by quickly (for me anyway),
  • The nice soaps from Heather,
  • The very fancy chocolates from Erik, 
  • Black currant with lemon tea,
  • Tea bags that last for two or three cups,
  • The worker at Terno putting out fresh rolls from the oven right as I was going to select mine for lunch,
  • The pretty mirror from Nic from Bali,
  • Tomorrow is Wednesday,
  • Dusan's family gets to come for Christmas,
  • My first pumpkin pies from scratch were good,
  • Getting to soon borrow Ed and Libuš's poffertje pan,
  • One sweet student in my level 3 class who loves English class (in contrast with her classmates who don't),
  • Another fun and heartwarming Mierne Pokročili lesson,
  • My internal Slovak keyboard,
  • The washing machine is fixed,
  • Little containers of tiny tomatoes for 55 cents each,
  • I finally remembered to buy Band aids, 
  • The convenient features on the new imhd website

1 comment:

  1. I forgot something! I'm also thankful for the pastries here with the poppy seed mash inside. So tasty!

    ReplyDelete