24 August 2011

24 August 2011: Immigration day!

Miška (the receptionist for the school, and my translator and amazing guide in the immigration process) and I went to the foreign police this morning to hand in all my paperwork. It's a big step in the process of becoming legal to work and live here. Going to the foreign police here is like going to the Department of Motor Vehicles in the US...long lines, lots of people waiting... Our morning looked like this:

05:30 My first alarm went off
05:45 My second alarm went off... I got up...
06:23 I'm out the front door
06:29 I'm on the bus
(a few minutes later..I forgot to check the time...) I'm at the bus stop waiting for Miška
06:51 We're on the bus heading to the foreign police 
A few minutes after 07:00 We're standing outside, waiting in line to enter the office when they open at 07:30 and start handing out numbers.
07:31 We have our number...46. It seemed like a high number, but there was no order to the numbers they were calling anyway. People with numbers in the 100s went before us. No matter though...
09:00ish Our number flashes up on the sign and we go through a door and to booth 1. I filled out another paper and answered some simple questions that I don't remember. Miška asked all the important things about the infektologie clearance stamp that I need.
Sometime around 09:30 We left the office and made a list of what to get done in the next month: Have my FBI sheet translated, get some other thing notarized, get a medical exam, and hand in those things to the foreign police once they're complete. 

Friday will be another early morning adventure with Miška- this time to get my medical check! I've heard all sorts of things from people who have survived the immigrant medical exam, and I think I have good reason to be anticipating that this will be my most  the least pleasurable part of the entry process. Stay tuned for that story!

No comments:

Post a Comment