09 August 2011

Blog post number 1

Finally, I've decided that I WILL have a blog. I figure it's a good way for me to practice writing, and maybe some people will enjoy reading about the details of my new (and very happy) life as a foreigner.  

Already I feel narcissistic...but I guess I've been writing all about myself and my opinions in a personal journal for at least the last decade, so now I'm finally making my thoughts more public, and that's actually quite selfless of me. Right? (haha)


I've been in Bratislava for just a little over a week, but already I love it, love it, love it! I hope this isn't just part of the usual emotional cycle when entering into a new culture (meaning my emotions will eventually take a down turn). I don't think it is because I'm not usually this optimistic. But then again, I've never been in this situation where I move to a new place for an indefinite time period, so I guess I don't know exactly what to expect of myself or of the situation.  As I travel around the city, I try to imagine what it will be like when I recognize everything and feel completely confident that I know where I am. That day could come pretty soon, since I have a bus pass and a lot of free time. But how long until I feel like everything is normal and not charming? Am I going to be here for more than a year? More than two years? For the rest of my life? Am I going to wake up one day and realize that I identify more with Slovak culture than with American? I guess those are silly things to focus on when I haven't been here for even 10 days...

 Even though I'm "alone" over here, I already feel very connected.  This week, I have three social events on my calender! (Imagine that!) And many more nice emails from home to reply to. And several friends from around Europe who are planning visits to BA, planning to plan visits, or already practically on their way here.  Connecting with old friends and meeting nice new friends is just like... I don't know... like eating Indian food! It fills my insides and makes me feel happy (not a perfect analogy, I realize).


Ok, now I'm tired of trying to think of things to write...

Here is a nice picture of Bratislava: 









 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great blog! I can't wait to see what thoughtful thoughts, insightful insights, and observant observations fill these web pages. Good luck on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah, I am so excited for you! It takes an extreme amount of courage and strength to do what you are doing --- moving somewhere you don't know anyone. You motivate me :) Hope you are doing well in your pocket of the world! I'm waving hello!

    PS I wore the necklace you gave me the other day, always makes me think of you and puts a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahoj,

    I've been in Bratislava since 1 August 2011 almost
    like you, I'm from Colombia, I found your blog on Internet, i Could understand you how do you feel. Im gonna read all your posts.

    regarts,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cástulo,
    I think that's great that you're going to follow my blog! I hope you enjoy reading it and especially enjoy your time in Bratislava :)

    ReplyDelete